Virginia Normal School was a three-story, brick, tin-roofed building that stood where the west wing of Flory Hall is currently located. Constructed in 1883, it was the first major structure built on the Bridgewater campus; the school was previously housed in rented spaces in town. The building had no electricity, central heating or running water. As the main school building, it served multiple functions. It contained classrooms, study spaces, an administrative office, a, library, living spaces for male and female students, a dining hall, a kitchen and the chapel.
The building burned in a fire of undetermined origin on December 30, 1889.
Provisions of Use: Personal and non-profit use only. No cropping or altering of images in any way. Credit each image's source as "The Robert R. Newlen '75 and John C. Bradford Special Collections/Bridgewater College Digital Commons". Consider including a hyperlink to the image hosted on the Bridgewater College Digital Commons.