A new Bridgewater College gymnasium was constructed from 1956 to 1958 to replace the aging Old Gymnasium. The groundbreaking for the new gymnasium and physical education building was July 7, 1956. It was built by the Nielsen Construction Company. The new gymnasium was first used in January 1958 and dedicated February 6, 1958.
The Health and Physical Education building was named the Alumni Gymnasium in 1964. It was renamed Nininger Hall in 1981, the name we still call it. Its name honors R. Douglas Nininger, Ruth Miller Nininger and the Benjamin F. Nininger Family.
Additions were added to Nininger Hall in 1979 -1980 and 1988- 1989. Ground was again broken for major renovations to the building on July 18, 2013. The grand opening of the new Nininger Hall was held on September 9, 2014. The building houses the College’s department of health and human services as well as the Bridgewater College Athletics program, events space, and a Bridgewater College Athletics Hall of Fame.
Provisions of Use: Personal and non-profit use only. No cropping or altering of images in any way. Credit each image's source as "The Robert R. Newlen '75 and John C. Bradford Special Collections/Bridgewater College Digital Commons". Consider including a hyperlink to the image hosted on the Bridgewater College Digital Commons.