Bridgewater College formed a Men's Monogram Club in 1923 and a Women's Monogram Club in 1926. These clubs honored top athletic accomplishments, bestowing upon club members a large crimson or golden "B" patch, worn on a sweater. Photographs from yearbooks show that the Bridgewater Academy also awarded monograms to their star athletes in the 1920s.
Starting in the 1940s, cheerleaders and outstanding intermural athletes became eligible for the Monogram Clubs.
Male initiates, called "goats" went through an initiation period after accepting the invitation to join the Monogram Club. According to Bridgewater College's yearbook, the 1956 Ripples, "The club's objectives are to promote a better athletic program by increasing school spirit, encouraging sportsmanlike conduct and by working to obtain a greater participation in athletics by all students." At that time, Monogram Club men were operating the concession stand at home football and baseball games as well as hosting an annual social and a spaghetti supper. They also worked with the Women's Athletic Association to host area high school students for a High School Day.
In 1958, Bridgewater College replaced the Men's Monogram Club with a Varsity Club. It honored the male students who had lettered for two years in a Bridgewater College intercollegiate sport. The Women's Monogram Club appears to have disbanded early in the 1950s, perhaps after the reorganization and expansion of the Women's Athletic Association.
Provisions of Use: Personal and non-profit use only. No cropping or altering of images in any way. Credit each image's source as "The Robert R. Newlen '75 and John C. Bradford Special Collections/Bridgewater College Digital Commons". Consider including a hyperlink to the image hosted on the Bridgewater College Digital Commons.