Memorial Hall is the oldest building currently standing on the Bridgewater College campus. The structure was built in 1890 by Jackson Thuma and William J. Arey, and known as College Hall until 1904. Then it was called Stanley Hall from 1904 to 1928. In 1928, the name was changed to Memorial Hall. It has undergone several renovations and was moved back about 30 feet from East College Street and aligned with Founders’ Hall in the summer of 1926.
The building served as the primary College building after the fire of 1899 until the 1903 construction of Founders’ Hall. Early college literary societies held their meetings in the assembly room and commencement activities were held there from 1891 to 1912. It held various classrooms and business offices over the years. It hosted the College library from 1890 until early 1904. Chapel was held there until September 1946. The College snack shop, bookstore and recreation center were located in the basement from 1953 until they moved into the Kline Campus Center in the late 1960s. Memorial Hall is now used as classroom and faculty office spaces.
The building is noted for its prominent belfry. Ringing the Memorial Hall bell on special occasions and athletic victories is a tradition long enjoyed among Bridgewater College students.
Provisions of Use: Personal and non-profit use only. No cropping or altering of images in any way. Credit each image's source as "The Robert R. Newlen '75 and John C. Bradford Special Collections/Bridgewater College Digital Commons". Consider including a hyperlink to the image hosted on the Bridgewater College Digital Commons.