A new outdoor athletics field of over eight acres between the oldest part of the Bridgewater College campus and the North River was dedicated on May 2, 1924. It replaced the three acre enclosed athletics tract between Broad Street and today’s Dinkel Avenue, which had been in use since 1904. The new field was named Riverside Field in the autumn of 1929. It was renovated and improved in 1970 and 1971 and has since had other improvements. In 1971 Bridgewater College renamed it the Harry G. M. Jopson Field in honor of Bridgewater College’s beloved longtime track and field coach and biology professor Doc Jopson.