A twenty-room apartment house built to relieve overcrowding in female student housing was completed in 1921. It sat on East College Street across from where the Presidents House now stands. Called "The Apartment House," the building was removed in 1970. Christopher Conte, Bridgewater College Class of 2014, recently discovered that The Apartment House was likely built through the Sears Homes mail-order program. It appears to be the Sears' Atlanta, Model 247.
In addition, Bridgewater College built a historic apartment house for faculty. The Strickler Apartments were constructed in 1955 and 1956 along East College Street. The two-story brick building held four family apartments. Funds to construct the Strickler Apartments were received from the estate of Virginia Garber Cole Strickler. The building eventually went into use as student housing. It stands now on campus as part of Stone Village.
Provisions of Use: Personal and non-profit use only. No cropping or altering of images in any way. Credit each image's source as "The Robert R. Newlen '75 and John C. Bradford Special Collections/Bridgewater College Digital Commons". Consider including a hyperlink to the image hosted on the Bridgewater College Digital Commons.