Chemists have been part of Bridgewater College since the late 19th Century. Chemistry was part of the 4-year Classical Course of Study, appearing in the 1881-82 course catalog. One of the first chemists, J. Carson Miller, served on the faculty from 1896-1900. Other well-known and long-serving chemists were C.E. Shull, Lowell Heisey, John Martin, and Joe Crockett.
The chemistry department has had a home in several buildings on campus including College Hall (renamed Stanley Hall, renamed Memorial Hall) from 1890 to 1920 and 1926 to 1953, the Old Gymnasium from 1920-1926, Bowman Hall from 1953 to 1995, and the McKinney Center from 1995 to the present.
The current department consists of seven faculty, hosts three majors, two minors, and had over eighty students majoring in chemistry in the spring of 2019.
By Dr. Kenneth S. Overway, Associate Professor of Chemistry, Bridgewater College
Provisions of Use: Personal and non-profit use only. No cropping or altering of images in any way. Credit each image's source as "The Robert R. Newlen '75 and John C. Bradford Special Collections/Bridgewater College Digital Commons". Consider including a hyperlink to the image hosted on the Bridgewater College Digital Commons.