Bridgewater College’s first student newspaper, The B. C. Bee, was a creation of the College’s literary societies. The literary societies sponsored and managed the newspaper from its founding in November 1925 until 1934, after which time it came under management with representatives of the entire student body.
The B. C. Bee staff published between sixteen to nineteen issues of the student newspaper per year. The newspaper offered rewards for the best poems and essays submitted for publication. It also served to promote Bridgewater College among its students, alumni and friends.
The B. C. Bee staff won numerous honors, including a 1930 best in class award from the Virginia Intercollegiate Press Association for Virginia college newspapers published less frequently than once a week. It was awarded “first-class honor ratings” from by the Associated Collegiate Press during the first semester of 1965-1966 and the second semester of 1966 – 1967.
In 1968, the name of Bridgewater College’s student newspaper was changed to The Talon. Its last issue as The B. C. Bee was in April 1968.