A new Bridgewater College gymnasium was constructed from 1956 to 1958 to replace the aging Old Gymnasium after an engineer’s inspection found the balcony of the 1908 structure unsafe. The new gymnasium was built by the Nielsen Construction Company. It was first used in January 1958 and dedicated on February 6, 1958 as the new Health and Physical Education Building. The building was named the Alumni Gymnasium in 1964. Renovations and expansions in 1979 and 1980 included the installation of a swimming pool, new classrooms and locker rooms.
The building was renamed Nininger Hall in 1981, the name we still call it. It underwent major renovations as Nininger Hall in 1988 through 1989 and 2013 through 2014.
Provisions of Use: Personal and non-profit use only. No cropping or altering of images in any way. Credit each image's source as "The Robert R. Newlen '75 and John C. Bradford Special Collections/Bridgewater College Digital Commons". Consider including a hyperlink to the image hosted on the Bridgewater College Digital Commons.